Saturday, May 10, 2008

Potato Recipes

My husband and I are both from German heritage. As a result we both have similar tastes when it comes to decorating as well as the foods we like. We each grew up in a home where meat and potatoes were served at most meals. There were times when the potato recipes were substituted with dumplings; however my father had a passion for potatoes.

My father was a hard working farmer. He also had a full time job in a factory to supplement the family income. He always said that he worked to supplement his hobby of farming. He did not like fancy meals except when it came to potatoes. My mother loved to cook and would get frustrated with the simple meat and vegetable meals that my dad preferred. She started making different potato recipes that she found in cook books and magazines. She served some of the most delicious potato recipes that I have ever tasted. She also would experiment with different variety of potatoes.

It has been many years since I have lived at home. My parents are retired and my father has finally given up the farming hobby. My mother cooks much simpler now that they are not doing the physical labor of farming. I asked her if I could look through her potato recipes. She started looking through her recipe drawer and we were both amazed at the number of potato recipes she had collected through the years. We were sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee and going through the recipes when my dad came in from a walk. He sat with us and we talked about the different potato recipes and also reminisced about the days past. Mom talked about the days of cooking for neighbors that would help with the farm work and having special company dinners on Sundays. She talked about missing making formal dinners and being invited out to formal dinners. I asked if I could take her collection of potato recipes and other ethnic recipes to make copies.

When I returned to my home I told my husband about the conversation I had with my parents. We decided that it would be fun to invite them for a formal dinner. I sent them an invitation and also one to my aunt and uncle that were often guests at mom’s Sunday dinners. I made an old fashioned beef roast dinner and set the table with china, crystal and taper candles. Mom and Dad and my aunt and uncle enjoyed our Sunday together. We did more reminiscing and also talked about what different family members are doing now. At the end of the evening my husband and I decided that we will continue to invite company over for formal Sunday dinners at least once a month.